Fly Fishing on the Provo River
If you’re hooked on fly-fishing or just want to give it a try, it just doesn’t get any better than this! Get up early, (like all those other crazy fisherman) have a great breakfast in the Foundry Grill and head out to the Provo River, a short 5 minute drive from Sundance. We have partnered with our favorite fly fishing guides in the state. Many of our hand picked guides have been guiding on the Provo River for nearly 20 years. What we love about them most other than their ability of navigating the waters is their love, talent and passion for sharing what they love to do most.
The Provo River is a true Mecca for fly-fishing. It ranks nationally as a premier ‘Blue Ribbon’ trout fishery. It has all the trimmings; spectacular scenery, big German Brown Trout, and easy access from the Sundance, UT.
The River is divided into two main tail waters (regulated water that flows beneath a dam). These premier locations are only 15 minutes from each other so you can fish to your hearts content. And the first time you hook that big trout, the guide will take a picture that you can put in your “best days ever” scrapbook.
Wasatch Guide Service:
Wasatch Guide Service has the expereince, knowledge and expertise to guide you through some of the most exciting and enjoyable fly fishing water in the Western United States. On the Provo River you will encounter big numbers of trout that commonly approach trophy status in size and beauty as this blue ribbon river winds through amazing scenery.
They have one simple goal in mind with you out on the river where they call home. "Provide a Quality Outdoor Experience". It really is their home, they spend more time on the river than they do anywhere else. Just ask their significant others.
All of Wasatch Guide Service's guides are professional, knowledgable and very good at what they do. With that said, you can't find a group of guys that are more down to earth, love what they do and love sharing their knowledge with others. Whether you’re a first time beginner or a seasoned veteran, the guides will be a big part of your great Fly-Fishing experience.
Wasatch Guide Service caters to all. They have guides to take you out alone to perfect the art or have over 2 dozen guides to manage and navigate large groups for corporate events or families wanting to get out and enjoy the river together. There is nothing their guides haven't already done with nearly 20 years in the business. And don't let them ever convince you that what they do is work. They are some of the happiest "workers" we have ever met.
We can arrange for the guides to pick you up right at the property where you will be staying. If you are one of those that has to be out on the river before the fish are even awake you can just sleep in the car while they drive you to the river.
Wasatch Guide Service offers a variety of different trips and are happy to work around your needs and schedule while on vacation. Please book the amount of time you wish to fish in advance. Allow 30 minutes for travel round trip.
Catch and Release:
The Provo River is a catch and release fishery. That is why the fishing is so great! The Provo River is a “wild” river in that they do not stock the trout. The fish are our friends and we are very careful in the way we handle them so that we do as little harm as possible. We will show you how.
Wasatch Guide Service rates are very competitive and are based on a variety of criteria. Rates start at about $270 and will vary depending on the number of people, hours on the river, etc. Call us, we'll answer all your questions, quote you rates, and finalize scheduling and have you more excited than ever to get here. Payment can be made by cash, check or credit card or offered in one of our bundled packages- call Stewart Mountain Lodging for more details.
Your Guide will provide:
• Fly rod and reel. We use top of the line gear. Specify whether you’re right or left handed (it’s not a big deal).
• Flies. Most of our flies are custom hand tied specifically for the Provo River.
• Boots and waders. SIZES NEED TO BE BOOKED IN ADVANCE (shoe size, height and approximate weight).
• Light snacks and drinks. (The 8 hour days include a full lunch on the banks of the river.)
You will need to provide:
• Fishing License. The State of Utah has made it extremely easy to get your license. You will need access to a computer and a printer. Click HERE for licensing. They offer 1 day, 7 day and full season permits.
• Hat. Everything from baseball caps to wide brimmed brush hats are a must! If it looks stormy be prepared for rain. Storms usually blow through quickly. WE FISH IN RAINY WEATHER. It’s makes for great fishing.
• Sun glasses. Polarized glasses are optimal for seeing the fish underwater and protecting your eyes from glare.
• Clothing. Long Sleeve shirt is optimal but t-shirt will do if you don’t mind getting a lot of sun. Shorts or pants will both work under the waders. Remember you might get wet. Socks are a must. A good hiking sock is best. You will be hiking and wading through and around the river. DO NOT WEAR BRIGHT COLORS OR WHITE!! When the fish can see you they will not eat.
• Sunscreen is a must. The sun is VERY intense reflecting off of the water!
• Lip Balm is important in this arid, sunny environment. Sorry they don’t share their Chapstick (unless you’re really cute).
• Cameras and phones should be placed in water tight containers or plastic bags.
• Please let us know if you have ANY special needs, allergies (especially bees or bugs), or medical issues of any kind.
How to reserve time on the river:
It’s simple - contact us 801-229-1111, we can have Jeremy call directly with all the details.